Tuesday, April 19, 2011

So Much Excitement!

Warning, what you are about to read will contain the word "excitement" or variants of the word excitement such as "excited" and "exciting" more times than is healthy for any human being to read let alone write.  Additionally, the following text will contain so many exclamation points that you will wonder if the author has completely lost it.  Wonder no more!  She has!  Thankfully, for you, she is not too excited for words.  She has managed to retain the ability to write, albeit not well.  (snicker, snicker)

Many weeks ago, I posted about Smart Pots.  These things really ARE smart!  I got so excited about these things that I fired off an email to the company asking them if they would be interested in donating some pots to our community so folks can get a little taste of gardening this season.  These pots are ideal for anyone who wants to try gardening on a small scale.  But, what is really great about them is that they are light and portable and you can also use them on a balcony or in very small spaces.  This means even more people can try vegetable gardening.  It's no longer limited to those with large yards.  Wouldn't you know it?  They said, "Sure!  In fact, we'll give you 50."  I was electric, I was so excited!  It was like opening the best, most-desired present on Christmas morning!

When I calmed down from my excitement high, I called Farmer D and asked them if they would be willing to donate soil to a project that would enable folks to get a taste of gardening this season.  I told them how I would love to give 50 tomato transplants away in Smart Pots so people can experience, first hand, the amazing flavor of a vine ripe tomato they they, themselves, grew.  Would you believe me if I told you they also agreed?  I hope so, because they did.

Feeling like I was on a streak, I made another call to Home Depot and asked for tomato stakes for this project.  Again, they said yes.  (It has just occurred to me that perhaps I should have bought a lottery ticket.)

Finally, starting to feel like I might be pushing my luck, I called our PTA President, Susan Tallent, and explained to her what I was hoping to accomplish and asked if the Vanderlyn PTA would like to host the event at the school in conjunction with the school's Organic Garden Committee and she said yes.

So, I got busy growing 50 tomato seedlings in my dining room.

 
Now, the dates are set and it's actually happening!

At this time, the event is open to Vanderlyn families.  There will be two workshops.  Each workshop is open to 25 people.  Sign ups are first come, first served.  At the end of the workshop, participants will receive a Smart Pot filled with Farmer D's organic soil, a tomato transplant and a growing stake.

The dates are as follows:
Tuesday, May 10th, 2:45 PM @ Vanderlyn Garden
(Children enrolled in after-care will be able to participate with parents' approval.)

Saturday, May 14th, 11 AM @ Vanderlyn Garden

Did I mention I am excited?

No comments:

Post a Comment