Tuesday, March 22, 2011

The FULL File: What to do with garden fresh asparagus and broccoli

It's dinner time.
The end of the broccoli is here and the asparagus is just starting to come into play.
So, what can you possibly do with only a hand full of broccoli and a measly 5 asparagus spears?

Pesto dressed Whole Wheat Pasta topped with Asparagus and Broccoli drizzled with Roasted Garlic Oil
Serves 2
(you do not need exact measurements for this meal.  It is completely by taste.  You can add more or less of each ingredient and it will still be delicious. And, because we have high cholesterol and high blood pressure in our household, I don't add salt.  But, you certainly can.  I should warn you that I am not a talented cook, but even I can make this.  So, I am sure you can and you can probably make it better!  Although, nothing tastes quite like homegrown vegetables.  My husband took one bite of the asparagus last night and said, "Wow!  Oh my Gosh!  This- is- so- good!")

1 cup broccoli, cut any way you like
4-5 asparagus spears, tough ends snapped off and washed, cut into 1 inch pieces
2-3 cups cooked and drained whole wheat pasta
2-4 Tbsp freshly grated Parmesan cheese
2-4 Tbsp pesto
2 Tbsp roasted garlic oil (any will do, I use Lizzie's)

This comes together so easily:
  1. Boil the whole wheat pasta, any type, according to the manufacturer's directions.
  2. Drain the pasta and toss with the pesto using more or less depending on your taste.
  3. Meanwhile, steam the broccoli for 3-4 minutes.
  4. Add the asparagus to the broccoli and steam for another 2 minutes.
  5. Toss the steamed broccoli and asparagus with the roasted garlic oil to taste.
  6. Place about 1 cup of dressed pasta on each plate and top with the broccoli and asparagus mix.
  7. Top with the fresh shredded Parmesan cheese.
And, that's it!  Dinner is served!  Now, I should mention that this serves 2.  My kids don't like this and so I made this for the grown-ups and the kids got red sauce with turkey meatballs from the freezer.  Maybe someday?  I don't know.  One can only hope...

PS - At the end of the growing season, I make my own pesto and freeze it for later use.  I have used it all winter and it tastes just like summer to me.  I like Ina's recipe the best, but I like my pesto with less oil and a hint of lemon.  Here's her recipe:  Ina's Delicious Pesto.  Instead of using 1 1/2 cups of oil per batch, I use half or 3/4 cup of good extra virgin olive oil.  And, I add a squeeze of lemon juice per batch.  If you are not into making your own, then I highly recommend LeGrand 4 Nuts and Cheese Pesto.  It is delicious.

1 comment:

  1. Yum yum triple yum! Almost weekly we have "4 Ps": pesto, peas, parmesan and penne. Everyone loves it! And in the summer I make pesto and freeze it too, but it's never as good as the prepackaged stuff. Can't wait to try Ina's with your little variations.

    ReplyDelete