Sunday, September 18, 2011

Muscadine Wine Update and Info on an Upcoming Fermentation Class:

Well, it's been a week.  And, per Kirk's instructions, I am supposed to strain the muscadine ferment to remove the fruit and let it continue to ferment for another 6 weeks at which point it will officially be wine!  I hope...

I actually strained it yesterday and immediately became concerned, which, apparently, is my way when it comes to wine.  I am out of my comfort zone- but enjoying myself.  The cause for concern was the fact that it seemed still.  No bubbles or signs of continued fermentation were immediately apparent.  But, within a few hours, it looked like it was carbonated- lots of tiny bubbles and fizzing.  This, I am learning, is how this goes.  So, the fun continues!


Speaking of fermentation.  I have been hearing that word all over the place.  Within the past week, three separate foodie blogs/websites that I follow from across America have mentioned fermentation, in general, and more specifically Sandor Ellix Katz and how he is a genius.   Well, it just so happens, this master of fermentation, the guru of all things lacto-good, the brains behind Wild Fermentation is coming to Atlanta next weekend in an event put on by Slow Food Atlanta and he is willing to teach anyone willing to shell out the cash to learn from him.  That would be me.  Was there any doubt?  Will it be you?  

Here are the details:
Ferment with Sandor Katz and Slow Food Atlanta
Saturday, Sept 24, 11:00 am – 4:30 pm

No comments:

Post a Comment